Driver side door handle not releasing door catch

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Patty

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Driver side door handle not releasing door catch

Post by Patty »

Had the car out of the garage this afternoon to allow me to get the lawn tractor out for the first cut. When I tried to open the driver side door it was not releasing the door opening mechanism., the internal door handle would work.
Does anyone have experience of removing the interior door trim to get access to the door opening mechanism.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Driver side door handle not releasing door catch

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Try leaning on the rear of the door, below the handle, and then pull the handle and see if the door opens. This will take the pressure of the door seals off the door catch, and may be the answer.

It is also a good idea to very lightly lubricate the door seals with silicone grease of even WD-40.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

Here is a video how to remove the inerior door trim. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCv-vWho_mU
I've done it several times. I think I had the same problem some years ago. You have to take the lock mechanism out, clean it from all old grease and put on new frech oil/grease.
It is slightly tricky to get the panel back in place again. Start to lower it in the front upper end. Just the opposite as when removing it.
Patty

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Patty »

Many thanks for your responses. I tried leaning on the door and hay presto the door release worked and thanks for the utube video link very useful if I have to remove the door cover in future.
Patty

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Patty »

Can I also let people know that RAC insurance are offering a cover for low mileage drivers called Pay By Mile. Its aimed at sub 6000 miles per year drivers, initial figures say 4p/mile plus a charge to cover when parked up and an initial charge of £50 to link your car to your smart phone to record mileage. Cost for 1000 miles would be £90 with an extra £20/ 500 miles.
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

Memory is returning now. Yes, I had the same problem. You have to clean the lock mechanism, ( not the lock cylinder), becasue the old dry grease is making the rods move slowly or to little. Certain parts do not "click". So actually, when unlocking the car, it is supposed to make a connention between the handle and the lock. But old grease makes it move to little.
Daz

M roadster S54

Post by Daz »

Thanks for the tip on RAC insurance. As I only do about 3,000 miles a year it sounded interesting, however I got right to the end of the Spanish Inquisition and they cant insure vehicles over 15 years old, high performance or premium cars or those with modifications...damn!!