Prices on the up

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Prices on the up

Post by domross »

Just had a quick squiz on flea bay at zeds...is it me, or have prices for older widebodies just taken a massive surge in the past year?
Not that I’m complaining but suddenly a decent 2.8 looks to be about £7-8k 🤷‍♂️😃
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Prices on the up

Post by LaRy »

Not just in UK, I would say 30% increase in the last year in Sweden. I have also checked the prices in Germany. It is shocking. Normal price is 15.000 -20.000EUR for an ordinary 2.8 l!
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

In a world where rubbish such as Morgans can fetch crazy money, £8 to £15k for a good 2.8 is excellent value - try to find an equivalent car for the money.

Perhaps people are now realising that there will never be another small sports car with the attributes of a Z3! Some honest road tests, in magazines and the media are well overdue too, rather than the usual gut feelings, mistakes, prejudices, and repetitions which have always given a false impression of a fine car.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Higher prices seem to be very much attached to lower mileage. In some cases on cars that don't quite have the kerb appeal (wheels etc.,)
rayboy

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by rayboy »

Jeremy Clarkson’s Clown’s Shoe comment. He was referring to the Coupe.
James May choosing a 1.9 auto to cross a desert in and then moaning about it being “hopeless”.
Endless hairdresser’s car jibes etc. are like water off a Duck’s back to me.

These cars are getting the respect that they deserve at last
I have beautiful 2.2 Sport with 80,000 on the clock. What an exhaust sound! When the VANOS kicks in the punch is amazing. A 2.8 has a bit more grunt I suspect. I must investigate.
Before that a long serving 1998 1.9 took me to 150000 with no major issues. Sold last year for
£2k less than I bought it for 15 years before.
Was once a closely guarded secret let’s hope they don’t get too valuable to use.

Nuff sed
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

I paid a little under £4,500 around 5 years ago for my 2003 3.0i Roadster Sport Individual finished in Estoril Blue with navy roof. The car has covered 80k but once it's back on the road I'd like to think it would be worth twice what I paid (if left stock), or perhaps a bit more (once it's been kitted out).
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Crazy Money!

Post by Mike Fishwick »

A friend recently had his 2 litre Ford-engined Morgan valued by a dealer for insurance purposes . . . at £35,000! Of course, it does have character-building features such as the Hood From Hell, a total lack of luggage space, sidescreens, and an enormous back-draught which will take one's hat off! Compared to that my Z3 is easily worth £70,000!

All this was in addition to terrible paintwork - a total lack of etching primer on the aluminium bodywark, resulting in corrosion blisters all over the wings, and - when dismantled for repainting - a body frame which had to be replaced due to rot. All this was just over a year out of warranty, but Morgan could not have cared less.

A classic car if I ever saw one!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
692DPG

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by 692DPG »

The market is crazy at the moment - Z prices are really odd, I see some cars still at £1,500 and others at £8-9,000 for non M Cars. Difficult to judge!!
1997 (R) BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster - weekender
Hell Red/Imola Red/Black Z3M leather - 2 door, manual
2005 (55) Porsche 997 C4S 3.8 - man-o-porsche
Arctic Silver/Black leather - 2 door, manual
2017 (67) BMW M140i - daily
White/Black leather - 3 door, manual
domross

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by domross »

"All this was in addition to terrible paintwork - a total lack of etching primer on the aluminium bodywark, resulting in corrosion blisters all over the wings, and - when dismantled for repainting - a body frame which had to be replaced due to rot. All this was just over a year out of warranty, but Morgan could not have cared less."

At 25 next year my Zed does have a very slight blistering on one of the original alloy wheels....absolute disgrace.... :lol:
PaulSutters

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by PaulSutters »

Just bought mine which is a 2.2 Sport in black manual with 105k miles in really good condition. I struggled to find one in the right spec. Hardly any around now most at 4 cylinders and rough condition. Prices have gone up massively.