Windscreen washers variable output?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Windscreen washers variable output?

Post by Warrior »

The drivers side screen washer on my Z3 appear is only pushing the water in two jets that barely make it to the bottom of the screen. (Jets are at the correct angle to reach screen)

On the passenger side one jet works as it should and hits the screen half way up, the other is blocked and cannot be cleared with a pin.

There is no obvious damage to or leakage from the pipework under the bonnet so a good clean may sort.

Air hose, jet wash or any other method recommended?
AndyT62

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Windscreen washers variable output?

Post by AndyT62 »

Found on my much neglected Z3 that the supply pipe from the reservoir had had a bodge repair at the bonnet hinge area where the pipe has to curve and this was causing the washers to fail. They wouldn't have passed an mot. Common problem I suspect. Also worth checking that the reservoir filler neck has a filter fitted. Mine was floating around in the reservoir not doing it's job. I ended up flushing the tank out as it was full of gunge designed to block the jets up. If i remember correctly you can remove the jets to give them a clean, just makes it a bit easier.
Regards.
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

I had to change the tube 1 week ago, the same reasson as AndyT62 wrote.
My guess is that the warm weather is making the rubber tube softer after many years and get bended, especially just under the resevoir and also at the bonnet hinge
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Mine had two problems: the bottle was contaminated with algae and this was occluding the pick-up tube, and the non-return valves just before the nozzles seemed to be similarly affected so I removed them. The only downside is that there is now a very short (<1sec) before water emerges after I call for it.

Oh, I've just remembered that the pump motor rusted solid on a third, much later, occasion.

motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Three years on from the seized pump motor its replacement has just done exactly the same thing. Another Chinese replacement is now in situ and I expect it to cough up bits like its forerunners in roughly the same time. Despite paying a few pounds more than the cheapest in an attempt to deprive the Orient of my hard earned, the 50% dearer unit still has 'Made in PRC' written on it. :roll:
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Three years on from the seized pump motor its replacement has just done exactly the same thing. Another Chinese replacement is now in situ and I expect it to cough up bits like its forerunners in roughly the same time. Despite paying a few pounds more than the cheapest in an attempt to deprive the Orient of my hard earned, the 50% dearer unit still has 'Made in PRC' written on it. :roll:
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

Don't blaim the PRC. This is a question of quality specification, followed up by western inspectors, either at site or when arriving to the destination.
Several good brands of rotors for the brakes are made in PCR, but the manufacture has to check, also the quality of the steel.
So my opinion is that if you buy something from a good brand with a good reputation, the quality is in most cases fullfilling the brands specifications.
According to my experience, as an importer/manufacturer, you must always follow up the deliveries from PCR, year after year.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I simply do not wish to patronise the PRC.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Helping hand needed.

Finally got round to having a proper look at the washer situation and here's where I am.

Water is still making it's way to the nozzles so the pump is working - and can be heard. I've disconnected the pipe that runs along the wing and underneath the bonnet and the flow from the pipe to the washer bottle is poor. I've washed it out in situ and a fair bit of muck came out so clearly have to remove it for further inspection.............

........ and that's where i'm stuck. I've managed to free it from the bulkhead but cannot for the life of me unclip the pipes and electrics (Pump?) from either side. I read elsewhere online that on older models with a single bolt fixing - mine has 2 - the pump can be pulled free as it's just a tube running through a grommet but am reluctant to try it until sure that it's the same?

Help!
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Bumping this as still struggling!

.. and that's where i'm stuck. I've managed to free it from the bulkhead but cannot for the life of me unclip the pipes and electrics (Pump?) from either side. I read elsewhere online that on older models with a single bolt fixing - mine has 2 - the pump can be pulled free as it's just a tube running through a grommet but am reluctant to try it until sure that it's the same?
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Bumping this as still struggling!

.. and that's where i'm stuck. I've managed to free it from the bulkhead but cannot for the life of me unclip the pipes and electrics (Pump?) from either side. I read elsewhere online that on older models with a single bolt fixing - mine has 2 - the pump can be pulled free as it's just a tube running through a grommet but am reluctant to try it until sure that it's the same?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Take the nozzles off and leave them overnight in a solution of hot water and a dishwasher tablet. While this is going on, make sure that the pipes do not have non-return valves or filters fitted, and also check that the pump is delivering plenty of water when the pipes are partially covered with a finger tip.

If you can blow down the washer pipes, it is possible that your problem may be one of the washer pump rotor slippping around the shaft, which is not uncommon.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Mike Fishwick wrote: Fri 11 Mar, 2022 12:28 Take the nozzles off and leave them overnight in a solution of hot water and a dishwasher tablet. While this is going on, make sure that the pipes do not have non-return valves or filters fitted, and also check that the pump is delivering plenty of water when the pipes are partially covered with a finger tip.

If you can blow down the washer pipes, it is possible that your problem may be one of the washer pump rotor slippping around the shaft, which is not uncommon.
Hi Mike, Many thanks but i've determined that the nozzles are clear. My problem is getting the hoses off of the tank to inspect and give a better clean than i've been able to do in situ?

See post above...any ideas?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Try heating the pipes with a hair dryer - once they become soft they should pull off easily.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Mike Fishwick wrote: Tue 15 Mar, 2022 09:24 Try heating the pipes with a hair dryer - once they become soft they should pull off easily.
Will do, thanks again...
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

All sorted, well nearly.......but for the benefit of others who may have the same issues.

The problem was just dirt and algae in the tank. The pumps were fine.

The pumps pulled straight out of the tank with a little extra force.
I temporarily sealed the holes where they came out using a couple of bolts with a bit of masking tape wrapped round the threads, half filled with hot soapy water and a couple of cups of dry rice, put the cap on and shook for several minutes. A chap on YouTube uses Bleach in the mix but I didn't need it.

I now have full power water jets x 3, with one still blocked but in soak overnight in a solution of dishwasher tablet and hot water as recommended by Mike Fishwick above. 8-)