Rear shock absorbers

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Richieroo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Rear shock absorbers

Post by Richieroo »

I noticed a leak on one of the rear shocks the other day, and with n MOT coming up soon I think it's best replace them. I've a 1998 2.8 with about 67K on the clock.

I don't want anything particularly sporty and will go for something similar to the originals - does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, is there anything else I should do (mounts etc?) whilst I'm doing the shocks.

Will do the work myself - I'm a fairly confident do it yourselfer - are there any pitfalls/ problems I should be aware of?

TIA

Richard
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Rear shock absorbers

Post by LaRy »

You have to figure out if you have a standard chassi or a sport chassi.
If you don't know, you can figure it out from the VIN coder, or just look at your car from behind. Sport chassi (M-chassi) is lower. The rear wheels will be tilting out slightly, maybe 1 inch.
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

You have to figure out if you have a standard chassi or a sport chassi.
If you don't know, you can figure it out from the VIN coder, or just look at your car from behind. Sport chassi (M-chassi) is lower. The rear wheels will be tilting out slightly, maybe 1 inch.
Richieroo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Richieroo »

Thanks. Pretty certain it's not a sport chassis, but I have the VIN. Where would I find the chassis details?

Richard
LaRy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LaRy »

You can use this decoder: https://www.mdecoder.com/
Eventually you will find code S704 = M Sport suspension.

In that case, your car is approximately 30mm lower, the shock absorbers will be different (shorter).