Rear Window extrusion problems New Zealand

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Rear Window extrusion problems New Zealand

Post by kruisn »

Hi all,
Have any of our New Zealand Zders had to replace the rear window in their Z3, either with an import window or local. My top is good and window quite serviceable but the rubber trim on the outside is perished and falling off. Is there an extrusion or part available or a recommendation of a company or person able to replace any or all.

Happy Zed ing.
Don't drink and drive home -
Take the Zd and fly home -
Jaxx_ZA

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Rear Window extrusion problems New Zealand

Post by Jaxx_ZA »

I'm in the same boat - window is almost perfect, but the plastic piping is gone so its only a matter of time before it starts to leak.

Was looking at this as it has come recommended on another forum:
http://www.emiata.com/z3window.asp
However this doesnt have the piping, but a material flap instead, so i'm not sure.

I've been researching after market windows and they mostly seem to be hit and miss. Was actually contemplating an OEM replacement, but keen to see if theres any alternatives that come recommended.

kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

Yes, not sure about the fabric trim. It would be nice to keep it looking almost original.
I have found a possible extrusion that may look OK but have heard that gluing things on to the hood edge is messy and could spoil the hood.
We will keep in touch with developments. Also have seen this add. https://www.z3window.com/?fbclid=IwAR1P ... I-4D5cztT8

I don't see how my trim is attached to the window as in the add, it seems attached to the hood.
Cheers and Beers.
Bryan.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Just a couple of days ago I spoke to Dee at Soft Tops in Croydon and he gave me a full explanation of the issues and potential fixes for the Z3 rear window.

On my roof the canvas that should tuck under the plastic bead has shrunk slightly and has pulled away in the corners. An OEM or like for like replacement wouldn't work. The canvas is the issue.
The alternative to OEM is the one mentioned, where a flap of canvas is glued down over the bead. Considered to be a less attractive fix, but one that may work for some folk. In my case the roof is watertight but tired, having been parked close to trees, requiring excessive washing. Appearance is not a major issue as I drive roof down 99% of the time so the glued edge fix is the likely option I'll choose.

Note: Dee doesn't do the glue down one's.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Here's a video of the glue down window kit. About an inch out from the rubber bead is the line of stitching around the window that holds the zip to the roof. He can be seen stitching the zip back where it's broken away.

https://youtu.be/pTCr_PvTQyQ
Jaxx_ZA

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Jaxx_ZA »

Warrior wrote:Just a couple of days ago I spoke to Dee at Soft Tops in Croydon and he gave me a full explanation of the issues and potential fixes for the Z3 rear window.

On my roof the canvas that should tuck under the plastic bead has shrunk slightly and has pulled away in the corners. An OEM or like for like replacement wouldn't work. The canvas is the issue.
The alternative to OEM is the one mentioned, where a flap of canvas is glued down over the bead. Considered to be a less attractive fix, but one that may work for some folk. In my case the roof is watertight but tired, having been parked close to trees, requiring excessive washing. Appearance is not a major issue as I drive roof down 99% of the time so the glued edge fix is the likely option I'll choose.

Note: Dee doesn't do the glue down one's.
Thanks for sharing.
My concern was that in the absence of the beading, the canvas could fray at the ends, making for a full hood replacement at some point. Have you noticed any fraying of the canvas at the edges, or is it holding up despite no beading?

Sent from my M2010J19SG using Tapatalk

Jaxx_ZA

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Jaxx_ZA »

kruisn wrote: I don't see how my trim is attached to the window as in the add, it seems attached to the hood.
Cheers and Beers.
Bryan.
I still have the original window, and the plastic piping / trim was attached to the clear plastic window - it left behind a small ridge after it was removed.

Do you still have the original screen (will have a bmw logo at the bottom left)? How about the hood - some replacement hoods come with the screen sewn in.

Post a pic of your hood / screen if you can.

Sent from my M2010J19SG using Tapatalk

kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

Thank you all for your interest and help. I am still confused as to where the extrusion is glued as I can lift the canvas edge of the hood to expose the plastic window and the extrusion seems to be glued to the canvas edges.
I have (hopefully) uploaded photos. In Img 1098 you can see where I have lifted the canvas (under my finger).
Any answers are appreciated.
Happy Miles. Bryan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

I meant to say, I have had the car since new and haven't needed to replace the hood as yet so I presume it is original.
Regards,
Bryan.
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Jaxx_ZA wrote: Sun 27 Mar, 2022 07:43 Thanks for sharing.
My concern was that in the absence of the beading, the canvas could fray at the ends, making for a full hood replacement at some point. Have you noticed any fraying of the canvas at the edges, or is it holding up despite no beading?
I haven't done anything yet. Like you I'm still considering the options.

My rear window is split and I have duck tape covering one of the lower corners where the canvas has shrunk and no longer tucks under the beading. Anything I do will look better
Jaxx_ZA

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Jaxx_ZA »

kruisn wrote:Thank you all for your interest and help. I am still confused as to where the extrusion is glued as I can lift the canvas edge of the hood to expose the plastic window and the extrusion seems to be glued to the canvas edges.
I have (hopefully) uploaded photos. In Img 1098 you can see where I have lifted the canvas (under my finger).
Any answers are appreciated.
Happy Miles. Bryan.
My window looks like that as well. In my case, the piping / extrusion was attached to the black piece you see under the canvas - it appears to be part of a black rubber frame that goes around the window. The zipper seems to be attached to this frame, and the clear plastic window fills the center.

https://ibb.co/c2S0G2L

Most likely, the extrusion / piping is somehow glued or plastic welded to this frame at the very edge, and once zipped in place the canvas is tucked underneath to ensure a watertight seal. And from what i read, its impossible to replace once it comes loose.

kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

Yes you are right on the button there Jaxx. I have removed all of the rubber extrusion and it does look like it was joined to the frame.There is also a length of thin wire glued in to the rubber along the top edge.
It looks as though a new window is on the cards.
I think I will go for a genuine part, if I get a replacement from o/seas I will have trouble returning it if it is not quite right.
Plus the exchange rate here in NZ is terrible at the moment.
So it looks like NZ$800.00.
Still she is an amazing car and worth spending some moola on.

Thanks so much for all your help. Let me know how you get on with your window.
Kind regards
Bryan.