PaulC

Z1 roadster

Replacement tyres

Post by PaulC »

Hi

I am looking to replace my tyres and tyres suggested are;
Yokohama Advan A052
Yokohama Advan Neova (AD08RS)
Does anybody have experience of these or can recommend an alternative?
TJS

Z1 roadster

Re: Replacement tyres

Post by TJS »

The Yokohama tyres you mentioned are primarily track day focused, especially the A052 which replaced the A048 which were Lotus Exige S OEM fit. Whilst road legal the 052 (like the 048) has relatively poor grip in the rain and you may get 5k miles out of them, a lot less with spirited track use.

The 08RS is less performance focused but is slowly being replaced by the new A09 as more sizes become available. The outgoing Lotus Elise was fitted with the Yoko V105 which had good reviews for road use.

https://www.yokohama.eu/en/?tx_tyre_pi1 ... b4783ba54e

Z1 tyre choice is limited by their 225/45/16 size. Another option is Nexen / Toyo or the recently introduced original spec Pirelli P700-Z from Longstone.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... tyres.html
PaulC

Z1 roadster

Post by PaulC »

TJS

Many thanks for the information, original tyres a bit pricey.

Was warned off Nexan tyres with bad reviews etc. Will check out Toyo...
Will look around.
F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Post by F.Brossaud »

I am very satisfied with my Toyos
I would avoid semi slick tyres, too bad to be trapped in the rain when you are enjoying road trip far from home :evil:
PaulC

Z1 roadster

Post by PaulC »

Many thanks

I have seen Toyo Proxes T1-R (225/45 R16 93W) at reasonable price in the UK, are these the ones you have F Brossaud? I am looking to take along tour through Europe so do not want rubbish tyres.
F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Post by F.Brossaud »

Yep, exactly, I have them on M3 and Z1 and I am definitely satisfied

Grab them while you can because as I wrote in a different post, it seems Toyo is manyfacturing batches once in a while. I had to wait several months in 2021 until they were available again.
PaulC

Z1 roadster

Post by PaulC »

Yep
Tried everywhere and could not buy a full set, thought about replacement if had to buy one in the future. So bit the bullet and bought Yokohama's A08 and will have my alloys refurbished at the same time.
bluejay

Z1 roadster

Post by bluejay »

I came across Avon tyres that are available in the 225/45/16 size;;

https://www.avontyres.com/en-gb/tyres/? ... rimsize=16
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

The Avon ZZS has a good reputation as a road / race tyre. It is compromised in terms of wet grip and wear, as with other very high performance tyres.

A similar available tyre is the Nankang NS2 R but you may need to check if it is ok for European road use. Will the high performance road legal tyres, which are also approved for motorsport use, have an impact on insurance cover? A couple of Lotus insurance underwriters insist on additional “track day cover” ( plus increased premium) if using semi slick tyres on the road.

Nankang also produce a 225/45 /16 directional performance road tyre, the NS20, which has a Pirelli P700 / Continental ContiSport style tread pattern

https://www.nankangtyre.co.uk/home/sear ... iameter=16

Far Eastern manufactured tyres from companies such as Nexen, Nankang, Hankook ? They are now OEM fit in a wide range of VAG vehicles.